We’ve all got em
It’s oh so cool these days to talk about the hot new detox trends, but very few of these “trends” actually have any science behind them to back up their claims.
However my latest discovery of activated charcoal pills not only has the science to back it up, but it is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to eliminate toxins in your body. (It also cures a hangover like nobody’s business)
Activated Charcoal has made a huge difference in my life since I started taking it about a month ago, my teeth have gotten whiter, my skin has cleared up, and I have a heck of a lot more energy, but first…..
What EFF is Activated Charcoal?
Activated Charcoal binds to and helps eliminate toxins, poisons, chemicals, and intestinal gas that have thousands of times more weight than it has which makes it extremely effective for detoxing your body on a regular basis.
Instead of absorbing things in the body, the activated charcoal actually involves “adsorption”. This is a process through which toxins and harmful chemicals bind to the small particles of the charcoal.
The body does not absorb the activated charcoal; instead it simply acts as an agent for these toxins to bind to before they exit your body via bowel movements (sorry TMI?) Source
Don’t Forget To Chug Water When Taking Activated Charcoal!
It is SO important to make sure that you are drinking enough water when taking activated charcoal because it is constantly working to pick up toxins that entered your body and once it grabs onto these toxins your body needs some extra helps to make sure they all get eliminated.
Benefits of Activated Charcoal
1) Improves Skin Health- When taken regularly it can help eliminate the toxins that cause bad body odor, and acne! My acne has cleared up SO much since I started taking charcoal pills it’s kind of crazy! I haven’t had a breakout in since!
2) Anti-Aging- Due to the cleansing nature of Activated Charcoal, it helps to rid the body of toxins that contribute to cellular damage in our kidneys and liver. We have such a high exposure to toxins these days in our food, our homes, our workplaces, and the environment we are in, we don’t want to age prematurely.
3) Adrenal Health- Adrenal Fatigue is a very common thing these days, and I will do a separate post all about this, but activated charcoal helps to prevent your body from suffering from adrenal fatigue. According to this source
“Our adrenal glands produce important hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol, which are essential for mounting an effective response to stress. However, these responses are predicated on the notion that the stress response is a short-lived reaction to immediate threats that resolve quickly.
When someone experiences ongoing stress, however, such as financial trouble, a demanding job, or chronic illness, the adrenal glands get overextended, and can end up having the equivalent of a nervous breakdown and behave erratically”.
Don’t have a nervous breakdown, just take your activated charcoal!
4) Whitens Teeth- According to this source it kicks Crest Whitening Strips ass when it comes to helping to whiten your teeth!
“While you might not think that a black powder could actually whiten teeth, you’d be surprised – all you have to do is sprinkle charcoal onto a toothpaste-ladened toothbrush, and brush away.
Your mouth may look really bizarre when you brush with charcoal, but if you do this daily, you’ll notice a difference within a couple of weeks. Activated charcoal is odorless and tasteless, so aside from having temporarily black teeth, you won’t be able to tell you’ve got charcoal in your mouth.
Keep in mind that activated charcoal is a fine black powder. Although it won’t stain your skin, it can be messy to use, so keep a wet paper towel on hand for a quick clean-up in case you spill”
Also I highly recommend making your own activated charcoal toothpaste, or buy a pre made Activated Charcoal Toothpaste . A simple recipe consists of
Activated Charcoal Homemade Toothpaste
2 melted tablespoons of Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
½ a tablespoon of Baking Soda
5 capsules of activated charcoal
• Combine the melted oil, baking soda, and activated charcoal into a glass jar (it’s the best for keeping it fresh), stir well until totally combined, and then let it cool down.
• When it’s time to brush your teeth, simple scoop out about ½ a teaspoon onto your toothbrush and brush away or a few minutes, and then brush you teeth with regular toothpaste.
• For a real kicker you can swish your mouth around with warm salt water after for an extra clean feeling and to kill stain-causing bacteria.
5) Kick Ass Hangover Cure- It is used frequently in emergency rooms to treat people who have suffered an overdose or who have alcohol poisoning. It helps to rid your body of alcohol at a faster rate and according to this site
“While activated charcoal does not adsorb alcohol, it does help quickly remove other toxins from the body that contribute to poisoning.
Alcohol is rarely consumed in its pure form; mixers that include artificial sweeteners and chemicals are common.
Activated charcoal removes these toxins”
So there you have it, exactly why I am die hard fan of activated charcoal and the crazy kick ass health and beauty benefits!
Have a kickass Wednesday, RHONY is on tonight so I’m not too stressed 😉
I totally want to know if any you guys have had any experience with activated charcoal before and how it has helped you out! Leave your comments below!