Ok so I want to talk to you guys about something that I have been fascinated with recently after talking with my naturopath. He told me that my anxiety, which I have suffered from for as long as I can possibly remember, including the absolutely terrifying panic attacks, fear of flying, racing thoughts, insomnia, etc. could be caused by an underlying condition known as Leaky Gut Syndrome. Obviously the minute he mentioned this I wanted to educate myself as much as humanly possible into what causes this syndrome, and more importantly how to fix it!
The stomach, also commonly referred to as the second brain, is where most of the neurotransmitter chemicals are formed in the body including serotonin(the happy neurotransmitter that SSRI or selective serotonin inhibitors seek to increase and help with anxiety and depression) created, so if you happen to suffer from Leaky Gut Syndrome, you can experience depression, anxiety, and various other health related problems.
Basically our intestinal linings are supposed to be permeable for the nutrients we get from foods to easily pass through. However, the lining can become too permeable over time because of lifestyle factors like
- Constant Stress
- Poor Diet
- Long Term Antibiotic and Birth Control Use
- Fungal and Bacterial Over Growths
- Many other factors you can read about here http://draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/
However there are steps you can take to help heal your leaky gut and aid in healing your digestive lining! My favorite and most delicious way would be Bone Broth whose key ingredient is Gelatin! Not only can drinking Bone Broth help heal your leaky gut but it is also referred to as “Nature’s Botox” and can help keep your skin wrinkle free or improve wrinkles you already have. It is great for helping heal stretch marks and assisting in weight loss as well!
The gelatin found in the bone broth (usually in chicken feet, knuckles, and various other joints), helps to close up and heal any holes that might be present in the intestines(super sexy right?)
Here are some real sexy benefit of drinking Bone Broth which are seriously AMAZEBALLS!
- Younger looking skin- Bone broth is actually a rich source of collagen. Nowadays, you can find collagen in all sorts of plumping products, but it’s too large of a molecule to pass through the skin so all of those expensive creams you are using to help you look younger are not actually doing anything. The only way to actually get collagen in your body is to consume it. Drinking it is not only cheaper, but will also can make your hair, skin, and nails look healthy and radiant.
- Prevention from osteoarthritis.
- Better sleep- the glycine found in bone broth helps people sleep better at night, improves memory, and boosts the mood.
- Increases your energy.
- Enhances immune support; Bone broth is commonly referred to as a super food, thanks to its’ high concentration of potent minerals. The mineral in the bone marrow helps strengthen the immune system.
- Stronger, healthier bones; The calcium, phosphorus and magnesium in the bones basically seeps out in to the broth, leaving your body with many essential building blocks for stronger and healthier bones.
- Lessens inflammation in the stomach’s mucosal lining.
- Helps heal auto -immune conditions by basically healing the gut.
- Helps in detoxification by basically supporting the liver.
- Enhances digestion by regulating synthesis of the bile salts, and secretion of gastric acids.
- Improves the nervous system functioning, and keeps the moods and mind in great working order.
- Balances blood sugar, helps maintain muscles, and also regulates the human growth hormone (this is especially great for improving weight loss).
- Helps reverse heart diseases by reducing the atherosclerotic plaque build up.
- Reduces cellulite, stretch marks and even wrinkles (thanks to the collagen content).
But How Can Bone Broth Help to Heal a Leaky Gut?
Bone broth contains a number of nutrients that are known for healing leaky gut like collagen, amino acids, gelatin, glycosaminoglycan’s and many different minerals. So, here is how these nutrients can expertly heal a leaky gut
1) Gelatin and Collagen
When the intestinal lining is without the slimy stuff or the mucus then the lining become vulnerable to different unhealthy bacteria, which thereby causes a leaky gut.
So, you need something to protect your intestinal lining to get rid of leaky gut for good.
Now, when you will be cooking the bones, then the collagen present in the broth will start to break down and turn into gelatin. Yes, the same thing you use to make the wobbly jello. And this gelatin has the ability to support the slimy stuff, meaning the mucus on the intestinal lining that is known for protecting the intestinal cells. So, in short, gelatin heals the intestinal lining which is thereby will heal your leaky gut.
2) Magical Minerals
Silica, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and magnesium and many other trace minerals are present in bones. If you do research on these minerals, then you will see that all of these help you to have better bones and also can keep you hydrated. These advantages can be enjoyed because of electrolytes. Electrolytes is also considered quite crucial for intestinal cell function, in fact cell function as a whole. And, as discussed before perfectly working intestinal cell can promote healthy intestinal lining, meaning no more leaky gut.
3) Amino Acids
Bones contains protein, as we all know, and when you cook the bones in the broth it happen to release amino acid that is known for healing leaky gut and here’s why- standard amino acid like cysteine, glutamine, glycine, proline and arginine has the ability to heal leaky gut.
So, let’s start with glutamine. If you consume this, then it will help your intestinal cell to stay healthy. This is because it allows for the absorption of nutrients and blocks pathogens helping to keep the intestinal lining healthy.
Stress leads to depletion of glutamine that affects the intestinal cell and you become a victim of leaky gut. Hence, glutamine is recommended to anyone who deals with stress and/or anxiety.
Glycine, on the other hand, is known for helping out the nervous system and also aids for effective production of bile and stomach acid that make sure you do not deal with digestion problems of any sorts. Besides being anti-inflammatory, glycine is a crucial nutrient needed for your liver and also production of glutathione (anti-oxidant). So, these benefits are actually quite important to reduce oxidative and auto-immunity stress and also to heal leaky gut. For this reason, arginine and proline (anti-inflammatory in nature) and Cysteine (aids production of glutathione) can lower stress and heal leaky gut as well.
Glycosaminoglycans are actually hyaluronic acid, chondroitin and glucosamine, which besides helping in case of arthritis and joint pain can also heal leaky gut. Cartilage of joints and bones happens to break down in the broth in order to produce this, which contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. These can most definitely provide the building blocks required to produce the protective mucus layer on the lining of the digestive tract and there by promote healing of your leaky gut.
There you have it, the reason why bone broth can effectively help to heal leaky gut. So, now to ensure that you can enjoy the benefits, add bone broth to your food often like in soups and sauces.
Often referred to as liquid gold, bone broth is a very nutritious food, which is made by simmering the animal bones, and the connective tissue. This nourishing, traditional super food provides many nutrients that are difficult to get from the normal daily diet. Recently, bone broth has become a very trendy beverage amongst the health conscious people. One broth basically contains many valuable potent minerals in a form, which the body can absorb and use easily, including calcium, magnesium, silicon, phosphorus, sulfur chondroitin, gelatin, glucosamine, and various other trace minerals.
The gelatin in bone broth helps close the large holes in the intestines lining which in turn prevents leaky gut syndrome, and helps with constipation, chronic diarrhea, and even certain food intolerances. So, if you’re experiencing any kind of gastrointestinal challenges, you should definitely try drinking some bone broth!
Fun Facts About Gelatin
- Gelatin was 1 of the 1st functional medicine foods, which was used as a natural medical treatment in ancient Chinese dynasties
- Gelatin helps people who have food allergies and food sensitivities tolerate various foods such as gluten and cow milk.
- Gelatin helps to protect and sooth the digestive tract and can help in healing acid reflux, IBS, crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and so much more
- Gelatin promotes both probiotic growth and balance.
- Bone broth increases the collagen and gelatin in the body that in turn reduces the appearance of the wrinkles, and banishes cellulite.
- Gelatin provides bone -building minerals, which are easily absorbable, thus reducing joint pain and preventing bone loss.
- Gelatin and collagen help keep the joints healthy, and supports a healthy gut. This is because the gelatin, collagen and other minerals found in bone broth help build up the immune system by improving the digestive tract (where about 60 to 80% of the immune system resides). Well, by consuming this amazing liquid elixir on a daily basis, the common colds will become very uncommon.
So go make yourself a cup of this delicious Liquid Gold and feel the benefits kick in as your anxiety improves as well as any other ailments that might be facing you! My favorite brand is Bare Bones Broth because the animals are grass fed and free from any antibiotics or nasty ass growth hormones! They also add some other delicious ingredients in their broth like parsley, onion, thyme, and bay leaves!
If you have any of your own bone broth or leaky gut stories please share below or just let me know if you like the post!! Have a great rest of the weekend!