So guys I have a new obsession and they are these small magical little super seeds called Chia Seeds! I know most of you hear the word “chia” and think of those creepy 90’s plant pets, but seriously I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing these little guys are but I’m gonna try! They have five times more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach more fiber than oatmeal and more potassium than a banana!
That is totally crazy thinking that all of that healthy goodness can come from tiny little seeds. Originally grown in Mexico, these seeds were highly valued for their medicinal properties and nutritional value. In fact, they were even used as currency! Aztec warriors use to eat chia seeds before going out and hunting to give them loads of energy and endurance. They said just 1 spoonful of chia could keep them full and energetic for 24 hours which is pretty amazing!
Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language, and they were known as “runners food” because runners and warriors would use them as fuel while running long distances or during battle. Being rich in so many key nutrients, incorporating chia seeds into your diet on the reg can improve your health in so many ways!
The Amazing Benefits of Chia Seeds
1) Healthy Skin and Anti Aging!- They are one of nature’s highest sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants speed up the skin’s repair systems, and prevent further damage. Consuming chia seeds can prevent premature skin aging due to inflammation and free radical damage. I am all about healthy skin and looking young!
2) Support Healthy Digestive and Cleanse Your Body- If you happen to suffer from a slower metabolism and need help in the elimination department *nudge nudge wink wink* these can help you to be more regular and are much more gentle than any OTC laxatives. This happens because they are high in dietary fiber, chia seeds help promote bowel regularity and healthy stool.
3) Reduce Inflammation- They are high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which helps fight inflammation in the body and can regulate cholesterol and lower blood pressure making it extremely beneficial to consume for heart health. Omega 3’s are also bomb for brain health and can help prevent and help depression and anxiety(I am a major stress ball and I seriously think they help me)
4) Amazing Natural Energy Booster!- Seriously sprinkle these into your morning smoothie or on top of your oatmeal or greek yogurt and it will put a major pep in your step!
5) Help with Weight Loss!!!!!- My personal fav- Because Chia seeds can swell up to 15 times their original size with water they help you two feel full and stay full which leads to less snacking and you will be less likely to overeat later. Also apparently eating these in a smoothie every morning helped Taylor Swift lose 10 pounds(not like she needed to) but still good to know!
Ok so my favorite way to eat Chia seeds is to eat them in a delicious Chia seed pudding, this recipe is from one of my favorite sites Stupid Easy Paleo which is so great for healthy recipes, I make the 3 Ingredient Banana Pudding Recipe(recipe can be found here) with Chia Seeds all the time and it is so so good and super easy!
Ok so I highly encourage all of you to give Chia Seeds a try! They are small little magic seeds and can do wonders for your health! Sprinkle them in salads, yogurt, fruit, smoothies, soups, tea, or make a delicious pudding like the one I love. Happy and Healthy Snacking! xoxo Harriet