I think that it is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT to start your day on a positive note, whether that includes exercising, meditating, or just taking a few minutes to write down how you’re feeling or a few things you are grateful for. Starting your day with a grateful heart and a happy mindset can make all the difference and it really sets the tone for how your day is going to go.
While doing my yoga teacher training I was introduced to some of the more popular Ayurvedic philosophies. Ayurveda is a system of Hindu traditional medicine and provides both curative and preventive measures towards optimal physical, mental and spiritual well being. The word “Ayurveda” is from the ancient Indian language, Sanskrit, and literally means “Knowledge of Life”.
Ayurveda recommends that you get a jump-start on the day by focusing on morning rituals that help to align the body with nature’s rhythm as well as foster self-esteem and self-discipline. People find comfort in rituals (I love my nightly bedtime ritual of stretching, having a cup of hot tea and lighting a relaxing lavender candle)
We are always so busy in the morning either scrambling to get ready for work, taking your dogs for a walk, working out, etc. However if you have time for only ONE RITUAL in the morning that will set a great tone for the rest of the day, let it be this…
Start the day out with a mug of warm water and the juice of half a lemon
It’s simple and has so many positive benefits that are just too good to not take advantage of.
• Boosts Your Immune System– Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for preventing and fighting colds and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure.
• Balances pH– Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food, believe it or not. Yes, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized).Having an alkaline and balanced body is really the key to good health.
• Helps with Weight Loss– Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps to manage those pesky cravings. Studies have shown that people who have a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
• Acts as a Natural Diuretic and Helps Digestion– Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are therefore, released at a faster rate, which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
• Clears Skin– High levels of Vitamin C in Lemons help to decrease wrinkles and clear blemishes from the inside out. If your body is balanced and clear, it will reflect in your skin.
Adopting just this one practice of drinking a cup of warm water with lemon in the morning for a month can radically alter your experience of the day. Don’t be surprised if you even start looking forward waking up in the morning!
I’m a morning person so I might be bias but when you have a great start to your day, it makes it easier to keep up that positive energy and have a truly AMAZE BALLS kind of day
Here’s to health, happiness, and Warm Water with LEMON!!